Arts in the Parks
The Wyoming Arts Council partners with Wyoming State Parks to hold various arts activities in Parks across the state. Now in its second year, Plein Air in the Parks pairs talented artists with beautiful locations. This painting competition is open to artists of all ages and offers cash awards.
2018 Plein Air in the Parks at Sinks Canyon.
Plein Air in the Parks 2019: Sinks Canyon
Registration for youth and adult categories is now open and available online here. Early bird registration is available through Aug. 15 and is $35.00 for artists. Regular and walk up registration after Aug. 15 will be $35.00. A reduced rate for college students is available for $15.00 and a youth division rate for those under the age of 18 is available for $5.00. Artists will have the option of selling pieces produced at the event during the reception. Taking place Sept. 12-15, participants will first stamp their canvases at the Lander Art Center (224 E. Main St.) or at Sinks Canyon State Park Visitor Center (3079 Sinks Canyon Road). From there artists can look forward to a weekend of outdoor, on location, plein air painting in Sinks Canyon State Park. At least 75% of entered works must be produced outdoors and within the bounds of the park.
Rules and Guidelines
For information about Lander, visit the Lander Chamber of Commerce website. For information about Sinks Canyon State Park, including camping information, visit their website.
Registration includes up to two entries in the judged competition. Mediums may include Oil, Acrylic, Watercolor, Pastel, Graphite, or other medium. Registration is available online: https://2019pleinairintheparks.eventbrite.com
- Early Bird (through August 25) – $35
- Regular and Walk Up (August 26 – September 14) – $50
- College Student (must present valid ID at stamp-in) – $15
- Junior Divisions – $5
- Youth Division (age 12 and under)
- Teen Division (ages 13-18)
Lander Art Center (224 E. Main St.) & Sinks Canyon State Park Visitor Center (3079 Sinks Canyon Road)
- Thursday, September 12, Noon-5 pm
- Friday, September 13, 9 am – 5 pm
- Saturday, September 14, 9 am – 5 pm
RULES AND GUIDELINES
- Authentication stamp must be visible on the back of artwork. The entire back of the entry must be visible at submission.Entries must be created in the pure intent of outdoor, on location, plein air painting. At least 75% of the painting must be produced outdoors in the spirit of plein air within the bounds of Sinks Canyon State Park.
- Entries produced using manipulated photographic processes, computer enhanced imagery or other non-plein air means will not be accepted.Registered artists and event attendees agree to respect public lands by following the use regulations and any verbal, written or posted rules of the various land management agencies (i.e. obtaining necessary use permits, staying on designated roads and trails, etc.).Up to two (2) stamped entries may be entered into the competition.
- Artist name, artwork title, medium, age (for youth divisions), and date should be legibly printed on the back of submitted artwork or on a label affixed to the back.
- Artist name, signature, or other identifying mark should not be included on the front of the artwork. Judging will be done anonymously.
- All entries must have wire or other hanging hardware on the back. The maximum size of the artwork, including framing, should not exceed 30” X 36.”
- It is not required that artwork be framed, however it is highly recommended that pastels, drawings, watercolors, and other works on paper be presented under glass for their protection.
- Artists agree to allow Arts in the Parks (State of Wyoming Department of State Parks and Cultural Resources) permission to use images of their artwork for educational, promotional, and other non-sales purposes.
- Registrants (or parents/guardians) will be asked to sign a photo release form at stamp in.
- Artwork entered into the competition may be listed for sale at the reception and award ceremony. During the reception, artists can sell additional works created during the event but not entered in the competition. Artwork need not be framed. Sales are processed by the festival staff during the event.
- A 25% commission will be retained. This includes any sale of artwork generated during the plein air competition, including direct sales facilitated by artists. 15% of the commission will be donated to ATLAS (AT Lander Arts and Sciences), a nonprofit program of the Lander Art Center that connects the community through dynamic integration of art and science. 10% of the commission will be put toward the Plein Air in the Parks program for future events.
- Cash prizes and checks for the sale of artwork are mailed after the festival.
JUDGING AND CASH PRIZES
Judging will be done anonymously. During judging, participating artists and the public will not be permitted into the Visitor’s Center parking lot where work is displayed. The judging panel is comprised of artists or those with an arts background, representatives from the community, and individuals familiar with Sinks Canyon State Park. Checks for cash award prizes will be mailed after the event. The below cash awards will be given.
- Best of Show Cash Award – $1000.00
- 2nd – $500.00
- 3rd – $250.00
- People’s Choice Award – $250.00
Junior Division Awards
- Youth (12 and under category and Teen 13 to 18 category to be judged separately)
- 1st Place – $50 cash award and a $50 giftcard to the Lander Art Center
- 2nd Place – $35 cash award and a $30 giftcard to the Lander Art Center
- 3rd Place – $20 cash award and a $15 giftcard to the Lander Art Center