Write at Devils Tower in 2008
Uncategorized | November 9, 2007
Some of you are probably aware of this, but Bearlodge Writers in northeast Wyoming teams up with Devils Tower National Monument for an annual writer’s residency program. The guidelines and application are out for the 2008 residency. Here they are:
Two one-week residencies will be available at the monument in September and October. Selected individuals will be offered modest housing at the monument. A $100 travel stipend is provided in two payments by the Devils Tower Natural History Association. The goal of this residency is to provide an inspiring, secluded working environment for promising writers.
Interested writers should submit writing samples to:
Christine Czazasty, Chief of Interpretation
Devils Tower National Monument
P.O. Box 10
Devils Tower, WY 82714
Please follow these guidelines:
- Your name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript. Include a cover sheet, listing genre, title of work, your name, address, phone number, and a one-paragraph bio. Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Entries must be postmarked by April 1, 2008. Applicants must be United States citizens or permanent U.S. residents to be eligible. Winners may not reapply for a 5-year period.
Writing may have been previously published but must be retyped to conform to manuscript guidelines.
- Submit one copy of work, typed double-spaced (not 1 ½ spaced) on 16 or 20-pound 8 ½ x 11” white paper. Use 12 pt. Times New Roman font with 1 inch margins. Clean photocopies are acceptable; no carbon copies please.
- Manuscripts should be no more than 2,500 words, or 10 pages (excess pages will be discarded), of essays, fiction, nonfiction, or poetry. Poems may be single-spaced, one poem to a page.
- Do not staple manuscripts or use any cover or binder; paper clip pages together.
- Manuscript pages must be consecutively numbered, starting with page 1. Include genre (For example: poetry, fiction, nonfiction, creative non-fiction, children’s fiction, children’s nonfiction or children’s poetry), and title of work on each page.
Do not send supplementary materials, such as photos or illustrations.
Notification to winners will be postmarked by May 15, 2008.
Winners must contribute to the Tower Story Box, answering the question “What does the Tower mean to you?” Writings must be received by February 28, 2009. The second $50 payment will be sent upon receipt of story box contribution.
If you wish to receive an announcement of winners, enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Receipt of your manuscript will be acknowledged if you enclose a self-addressed stamped postcard.
Each entry goes through three stages of judging, using the following criteria: clarity of message or theme; technical merit/grammar, composition, etc.: style/language skills/grace of language; creativity/originality; overall like/dislike/gut reaction.
FMI: Christine Czazasty at 307-467-5283 ext. 224