Creative Writing Fellowships
The Literature Program offers two fellowship programs for creative writers:
- Literature Fellowships: Three $3,000 fellowships given annually to Wyoming literary artists. Submissions are accepted annually in one of three creative writing genres: poetry, fiction and creative nonfiction. Winners also receive a $500 honorarium/travel stipend to attend the annual fellowship reading held in Casper, WY in the fall where you will present your work. For guidelines and the application form for the 2014 fellowship, which has a deadline of June 20, 2013, go here.
- NOTE: The deadline for the 2014 Literature Fellowship has now passed, and winners have been announced (see fellowship list below)
- In two-three weeks after your Literature Fellowship has been awarded, a packet of information that includes an Individual Award Agreement will be mailed to you. You will need to sign and mail the Agreement back to the WAC as soon as you receive it, so we can process your payment. You will receive a $2,100 payment after we receive/process your Agreement, and the remaining $900 will be paid after you submit your Final Report. You will access your Final Report via our e-grant system, so click here: Final Report . You will need a log-in and password to access the e-grant system, so contact WAC staff for this information. An email will be sent to you on your Project End Date to let you know that the Final Report has been released to you so you can begin working on it. Your Final Report is due within 30 days after your Project End Date. If you wish to access it earlier than your Project End Date, just call the WAC and we can move the release date up for you.
- Neltje Blanchan and Frank Nelson Doubleday Memorial Awards. The $1,000 Blanchan award goes to a writer whose work, in any genre, has been inspired by nature. The $1,000 Doubleday award goes to a woman writer of exceptional talent in any creative writing genre. Winners also receive a stipend to attend an annual reading. For an example of guidelines, see the 2013 application here.
- NOTE: Applicants for the next round of the Blanchan/Doubleday writing awards will apply on the WAC’s Cybergrants online system. Stay tuned for more info.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have been domiciled within the state borders for a total of 20 months in the previous two years
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have legal resident status (evidence of U.S. citizenship, resident status and state residency may be required).
- Must register with the Artist Image Registry
- May not be affiliated with the Wyoming Arts Council either as a board member or staff member, including their families, whether full-time, part-time or contractual.
- May not be an employee of the Department of State Parks and Cultural Resources.
- Must remain a Wyoming resident for at least one year after award, living in the state for at least 10 months of the year
- Must not have received a fellowship within the last four years
- May receive a total of two fellowship awards in their lifetime
Wyoming Arts Council Literature Fellowship Recipients
- Fiscal Year 1987 (awarded 1986)
Tilly Warnock; Laramie, Len Sherwin; Douglas, Kirk Keller; Moran, Mary Alice Gunderson; Casper. Jurors: Mark Harelik, William Kloefkorn and Marilyn Krysl.
- FY 88 (awarded 1987)
Sandra Dorr; Story, Mark Jenkins; Laramie, John Nesbitt; Torrington, Tim Sandlin; Jackson. Jurors: Joy Harjo, Nancy Mairs and Bill Ransom.
- FY 89 (awarded 1988)
B.J. Buckley, Arvada; David Mouat, Worland; Mark Spragg, Wapiti; Geoff Peterson; Green River. Jurors: Marvin Bell, Terry McMillan and Kim Stafford.
- FY 90 (awarded 1989)
Rick Kempa, Rock Springs; Jennifer McMullin, Casper; Barbara Smith, Rock Springs; Dan Whipple, Casper. Jurors: Ray Gonzalez, Diane Wakoski and Jerome Washington.
- FY 91 (awarded 1990)
Vicki Lindner, Laramie; Michael Riley, Cody; Geoff O’Gara, Lander (only three winners in FY 91). Jurors: David Lee, Russell Martin and Mary LaChapelle.
- FY 92 (awarded 1991)
C.J. Box, Cheyenne; Len Edgerly, Casper; Dainis Hazners, Story; Julia Hoagland, Powell. Jurors: Denise Chavez, Don Snow and Michael Martone.
- FY 93 (awarded 1992)
Leslie (Bridewell) McMillan, Rock Springs; Scott Hagel, Cody; Mark Jenkins, Laramie; Page Lambert, Sundance. Jurors: Starkey Flythe, Jr., Linda Hasselstrom and David Milofsky.
- FY 94 (awarded 1993)
Tim McGee, Worland; Hannah Hinchman, Dubois; Rodney Mahaffey, Casper; and Lawrence Sullenger, Story. Jurors: Simon Ortiz, Scott Walker and Wanda Coleman.
- FY 95 (awarded 1994)
Janell Hanson, Laramie; Craig Johnson, Ucross; Marie J. Carvalho, Rock Springs; Stephanie Buehler, Sheridan. Jurors: Dagoberto Gilb, Gregg Levoy and Robert Greer.
- FY 96 (awarded 1995)
C.L. Rawlins, Laramie; Suzanne Tyler, Jackson; Jane Wohl, Sheridan; Ron Franscell, Gillette. Jurors: Peggy Shumaker, Michael Katakis and Melissa Pritchard.
- FY 97 (awarded 1996)
Laura Bell, Shell; Bob McKee, Douglas; Diane LeBlanc, Laramie; David Romtvedt, Buffalo. Jurors: Ron Carlson, Elizabeth Woody and E. Ethelbert Miller.
- FY 98 (awarded 1997)
Dainis Hazners, Story; Jon Billman, Kemmerer; Julia Hoagland, Powell; Maija Rhee Devine, Laramie. Jurors: Mary Crow; Kevin McIlvoy; and Jewell Parker Rhodes.
- FY 99 (awarded 1998)
Carol Deering, Riverton; Christy Stillwell, Laramie; William Hoagland, Powell; Lisa Vice, Thermopolis. Jurors: Agha Shahid Ali, Jonis Agee and Kent Nelson.
- FY 00 (awarded 1999)
Mark Spragg, Cody; Alyson Hagy, Laramie; Sam Western, Sheridan; Martha Clark Cummings, Thermopolis. Jurors: Sandra Alcosser, Mark Amerika and Stephanie von Hirschberg.
- FY 01 (awarded 2000)
Robert Druchniak, Evanston; Charles Levendosky, Casper; Stefani Farris, Laramie; Geoff Peterson, Green River. Jurors: Lewis Nordan, Judyth Hill and Gary Ferguson.
- FY 02 (awarded 2001)
Rodney Gene Mahaffey, Casper; Paisley Rekdal, Laramie; Chavawn Kelley, Laramie; Bo Moore, Green River. Jurors: M.L. Liebler, Bill Tremblay and Sharman Apt Russell.
- FY 03 (awarded 2002)
Diane Panozzo, Tie Siding; Ted Kerasote, Jackson; Ann McCutchan, Laramie; Connie Wieneke, Wilson. Jurors: Robert Priest, Lisa D. Chavez and Bob Fox.
- FY 04 (poetry – awarded 2003)
W. Dale Nelson, Laramie; Page Lambert, Sundance; and Michael Harkin, Laramie. Judge: Virgil Suarez.
- FY 05 (creative nonfiction – awarded 2004)
Heather LaVonne Jensen, Cheyenne; Laura Bell, Cody; and Vicki Lindner, Casper. Judge: Elmaz Abinader
- FY 06 (fiction – awarded 2005)
John English, Casper; Alyson Hagy, Laramie; Geneen Marie Haugen, Kelly. Judge: James Sallis
- FY 07 (poetry – awarded 2006)
Jane Wohl, Sheridan; Myra L. Peak, Green River; and Jeffe Kennedy, Laramie. Judge: Rosemary Daniell
- FY 08 (creative nonfiction – awarded 2007)
John Sutton of Sheridan, John D. Nesbitt of Torrington, Chavawn Kelley of Laramie. Judge: Nick Flynn
- FY 09 (fiction – awarded 2008)
Kevin Holdsworth, Green River; Doug Reitinger, Sheridan; and Valerie Pexton, Laramie. Judge: Laura Pritchett.
- FY 10 (poetry — awarded 2009)
Sam Renken, Laramie; Lori Van Pelt, Saratoga; and David Zoby, Casper. Judge: Greg Pape.
- FY 11 (creative nonfiction – awarded 2010)
Joel Burdess, Casper; Jayme Feary, Jackson; and Pam Galbreath, Laramie. Judge: Lee Gutkind.
- FY 12 (fiction – awarded 2011)
Kathy Bjornestad, Sundance; Samuel Western, Sheridan; Stefani Farris, Lander. Judge: Pam Houston.
- FY 13 (poetry — awarded 2012)
Claudia Mauro, Jackson; Matt Daly, Jackson; W. Dale Nelson, Laramie. Judge: Brian Turner
- FY 14 (creative nonfiction — awarded 2013)
Chad Hanson, Casper; Mary Beth Baptiste, Laramie; Heather Jensen, Cheyenne. Judge: Connie May Fowler
Since 1989, 43 talented writers have received Blanchan/Doubleday awards:
Geoffrey O’Gara, Betsy Orient Bernfeld, Hannah Hinchman, David Mouat, Sheila Roberts, Scott Hagel, Holly Skinner, C.L. Rawlins, Marcia Saum, Dainis Hazners, Barbara Gilbert, William Hoagland, Diane LeBlanc, Tina Willis, Maija Rhee Devine, Mary Beth Baptiste, Julene Bair, Chavawn Kelley, Geneen Marie Haugen, Janell Hanson, Mark Spragg, Karol Griffin, Stefani Farris, Laura Bell, Darcy Acord, Jack Clinton, Tina Welling, Susan Marsh, Myra L. Peak, Marcia Hensley, Jeffe Kennedy, Melodie Edwards, Bo Moore, Barbara Smith, Alisan Peters, Lou O. Madison, Christine B. Nelson, W. Dale Nelson, Nina S. McConigley, Patricia Frolander, Edith Cook, George Vlastos and Christine Fadden.
Contact: Michael Shay
Amount: $3,000 and $1,000