Wyoming Arts Council

Grant Guidelines

Founded in 1967, the Wyoming Arts Council (WAC) supports the arts in Wyoming by fostering and promoting the creation, access, education, diversity and excellence in the arts, and also provides resources for, and encourages partnerships between, the public, artists and arts organizations. WAC-funded projects allow the general public access to programs they might not otherwise be able to experience. Look at the variety of grant programs we offer to see if your upcoming arts projects might fit into one.  WAC offices are open Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (except for holidays), and you can call us at  307-777-7742.  We are located on the second floor of the Barrett Building, which is the headquarters for the State Parks and Cultural Resources Department.  Our mailing address is 2301 Central Avenue, Cheyenne, WY 82002.


  • Organizations may receive WAC funding for up to  two (2)  grant programs per fiscal year for different arts projects that take place between July 1 – June 30.  
  • Organizations may only receive funding for one Operating Support, Arts Education, or Grants to Organizations per fiscal year. 
  • NOTE:  Community Arts Partners, Partnerships and Capacity Building grants are in addition to the two grants per fiscal year rule.

The WAC Offers the Following Programs

Grants with Specific Deadlines

DRAFTS:  Draft applications are reviewed by WAC staff, who will provide the grant seeker with an opportunity to make revisions if they feel the application is missing critical information and/or can be strengthened before it is sent to the panel for review.  Revisions are made by either returning the application back to the grant seeker electronically to make the revisions and then resubmit the application, or it may be done over the phone, if revisions are minor.   If staff feel the application is complete/in good shape and does not need to be revised, they will send it to the panel for review as submitted.

Once you submit a draft application, it becomes the final application.

Anytime Grant Programs

Anytime grant applications are treated as a draft.  If staff feel that the application is incomplete or revisions need to be made to strengthen it prior to panel review, they can return the application back to the grant seeker electronically to allow them to make the necessary revisions, if time allows.

*These deadlines are effective until all funds are expended 

Who Can Apply

Fiscal Requirements

Funding Limitations & Requirements

Grant Deadlines

Applications must be submitted by the deadline specified for each program.  The deadline date listed for each grant category is the minimum deadline, and applicants are encouraged to apply earlier whenever possible.   Applying early may allow the grantee to receive their WAC funding before the project takes place, instead of after the project is over.  All grants are applied for via our e-grant system (unless specifically noted otherwise) and must be submitted by midnight on the deadline date.  No grants may be funded retroactively.

Projects should be completed by the end of the current fiscal year (June 30).   Grants extending beyond the end of the current fiscal year (June 30) may be allowed if applicants contact the WAC prior to submitting their grant. Extending projects past the end of the current fiscal year may shorten the time frame that applicants will have to submit their Final Report. 


January 15       Community Arts Partners       Quarterly deadline
February 15      Arts Education                       Draft deadline
March 1            Arts Education                        Final deadline
March 1            Grants to Organization           Draft deadline
March 15          Grants to Organization           Final deadline
March 15          Operating Support Grants      Deadline
April 15             Community Arts Partners       Quarterly deadline
July 15               Community Arts Partners      Quarterly deadline
October 15        Community Arts Partners      Quarterly deadline
July 1-May 31   Anytime Grant Programs       Deadlines vary

Changes for for upcoming Fiscal Year 2016                        (July 1, 2015  –  June 30, 2016)

Changes will primarily deal with how grantees will report data for FY 2016.

Organizations will be reporting the populations they serve differently than in previous years.  In addition, the WAC is now required to collect information about every venue where an arts activity takes place.   We will start collecting the following information for FY 2016 grants:

  • Adults & Youth Engaged in “In-Person” Arts Experiences.  These numbers will reflect two separate groups of people — those under 18 years of age and those who are older than 18 years of age and  who directly participated in the arts.  To the extent possible, do not double-count repeat attendees.  Direct participation excludes individuals reached through TV, radio or cable broadcast, the Internet or other media.
  • There are three new fields which ask you to select as many as is applicable.  Grantees should only select those groups that represent 25% or more of the population who directly benefited from the project or event. These three fields request information about populations that benefited by race/ethnicity, age and distinct groups (such as individuals with disabilities or in institutions, or military, etc).  Note that your responses to these questions will not affect grant approval, or future grant approval, but simply provide information about the populations that are being served with our grant funding.
  • Organizations must now provide project activity locations for every location/venue in which an event is held.  This requirement will pertain to most, but not all grants, depending on the primary activity type selected in the request.  Information for each venue will include street address, city, state, zip, number of days on which activities occurred.  For example, if an organization holds events in a park, an auditorium, four local schools and the senior center, the above listed information would be required for each of those places.

Life Cycle of a WAC application

  • Grant Guidelines Available
  • Grantee submits Request electronically by stated Deadline
  • Staff Review (drafts returned to the grant seeker for revisions, if needed)
  • Panel Review (if required)
  • Board Approval (if required)
  • Grantee Notified if Request was Approved
  • Grantee receives Award Folder for Approved Grants within two weeks
  • Grantee Signs/Returns Subgrantee Award Agreement form back to the WAC for Payment within ten days after receipt  (If Fiscal Sponsor was used, they must provide 1 of the 2 required signatures).  Grantee should also return a Wolfs 109a or 109b form, if needed.
  • Final Report is Released to Grantee on the Project End Date.  Grantee may contact the WAC if they wish the Final Report to be released sooner.
  • Grantee Completes Final Report within 60 days (for Organizations) or 30 days (for Individuals).  The Final Report Signature Form should be signed by two legal representatives, and mailed to the WAC.  If Fiscal Sponsor was used, they must provide 1 of the 2 required signatures.
  • Staff will Review/Approve Final Report.  An email will be sent to the grantee after the Final Report has been approved.

 What happens after I submit my application?

  • All applications are initially reviewed by WAC staff.
  • Artists Across Wyoming grants are approved by staff after they complete their review.  As long as the application meets all the specified requirements, it should be able to be approved.
  • After staff review, all other grant categories are reviewed by members of the WAC Board and a peer panel.
  • The panel process will take several weeks, so we recommend that you submit your grant request with as much lead time as possible before the project start date.

What happens if my application is approved?

  • GRANT AWARDED: If your grant is approved for funding, the Grant Seeker will receive an email to let them know.
  • AWARD FOLDER:  Within two weeks of approval, the Grant Seeker  will be mailed a large two pocket award folder of information from the WAC that includes the official award letter, two copies of the Subgrantee Award Agreement, attachments to the Subgrantee Award Agreement, and additional WAC information.  You should notify the person who handles incoming mail for your organization to be watching for this folder to arrive.  The grant seeker should thoroughly read the award letter, as it provides critical information about your grant award.  If you do not receive this award packet within 15 working days from the time you receive the email, please contact the WAC Grants Manager at (307) 777-7743.
  • SUBGRANTEE AWARD AGREEMENT: Organizations must provide 2 different signatures on one of the Subgrantee Award Agreement forms that they receive in their award packet. One copy of the Agreement should be mailed back to the WAC as soon as possible, so your grant payment can be processed.  Individuals will only provide one signature on their Agreement.  Checks are usually processed on Monday and Thursday check runs.  Keep the second copy of the Agreement for your records.  WAC grant funds are paid directly to the grantee, who is then responsible for paying all of the project’s expenses.
  • STATE OF WYOMING PAYMENTS: If your organization has never received a check from the State of Wyoming (or it has been 2 years since you received a check), then you will need to submit a Wolfs 109a form to add your organization to the State data base.  If your organization has already been entered into the state data base, but you have changed addresses or wish to change how you receive your state payment (i.e. check or EFT),  then you will need to submit the Wolfs 109b form to make this change.  Both of these forms are included in the Grant Award Packet, but you may also contact the WAC to request them.  All Wolfs forms must be mailed back to the WAC, and cannot be faxed or emailed, as they require original signatures on the form.  It can take up to two weeks for the State Auditor to get your information input/changed, and this has to be done before your grant payment can be processed.
  • INVITE LEGISLATORS AND LOCAL CIVIC LEADERS TO ATTEND YOUR EVENT - The WAC encourages organizations to invite legislators and local civic leaders to all arts events. During the event, the organization should thank the officials for coming and remind them how important arts events are to the local community.
  • FEDERAL FUNDING REQUIREMENTS: The WAC receives both Federal and State funding.  Your award letter will tell you if any of the WAC funding you will be receiving is being paid from Federal dollars (from the National Endowment for the Arts), as well as providing you with the CFDA # for those Federal funds.  Organizations who receive federal funding from the WAC will be required to fill out an OMB Cicrular A-133 Audit Requirements form by February of the Fiscal Year following the grant award. Organizations who receive more than $500,000.00 in Federal funds will also be asked to provide the WAC with an audit and Notice of Findings.

What happens if my application is not approved?

  • If your application was not recommended for funding, you will receive a letter in the mail to advise you of this.
  • Feel free to contact WAC staff if you would like them to review the panel comments with you.

What do I need to do after my Organization receives the grant award packet?

  • Read the Award Letter carefully, as it provides a brief overview of the conditions of your grant award.
  • Review the Subgrantee Award Agreement carefully, as it provides details that the applicant agrees to carry out the proposed project and to comply with all state and federal regulations. It is a legally binding document.
  • Obtain two signatures on one of the Subgrantee Award Agreements, and return it back to the WAC immediately. If you used a Fiscal Sponsor, they should provide one of the two required signatures. All University of Wyoming contracts should  also be taken to the Office of Research and Economic Development to be logged in and provide one of the signatures.
  • Communicate any Changes to Your Project with WAC in writing (letter or e-mail) immediately if it becomes necessary to make any changes to the project.
  • Credit The Wyoming Arts Council,  the National Endowment for the Arts and the Wyoming Legislature in all publicity about the project(s).
  • Final Reports are released online on the project end date, and must be submitted to the WAC within 60 days of the project/program completion . The Final Report is an NEA (federal) requirement for all organizations receiving funding from state arts agencies. WAC grantees that fail to submit their Final Report by the due date will have their Organization’s eligibility status suspended, and funding for other grant awards due to them will be held until the late Final Report has been received. Grantees who have extenuating circumstances that prevent them from submitting their Final Report by the due date may contact the WAC to request an extension.
  • Financial Records should be kept in order. WAC and the National Endowment for the Arts shall have access to any books, documents, papers, and records maintained to account for funds expended under the terms and conditions of any grant. If in-kind is used as part of the match, records must include appropriate documentation of in-kind donations. All records must be retained for a period of three years from the date of submission of the Final Report. If an audit is conducted, records must be retained until the audit is resolved. WAC staff may conduct random audits of organizations.